Carly + the kitchen = culinary magic! Carly is a chef and former caterer who is busy bringing good, easy, healthy food into our lives. She’s put together this delicious tofu danish recipe using fresh herbs, mushrooms, Twin Oaks Tofu and Chevre goat cheese. Twin Oaks Tofu is certified USDA Organic and NON-GMO, made using local, organic NON-GMO soybeans grown in Virginia.
This is a great treat for special occasions like Mother’s Day brunch, birthdays, or any day that calls for a celebration!
Savory Tofu Danish by Carly
Carly + the kitchen = culinary magic! Carly is a chef and former caterer who is busy bringing good, easy, healthy food into our lives. She's put together a delicious brunch dish using Twin Oaks Tofu, fresh herbs, mushrooms and Chevre goat cheese. Great for special occasions. Vegetarian.
- ½ pound of Twin Oaks Plain Tofu, crumbled
- ¼ large yellow onion, sliced lengthwise
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, coarsely chopped
- ¼ tsp. fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 8 oz plain Chevre goat cheese (like the one made at Virginia's Goats R Us, at room temperature
- 2 sheets (1 box) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- Be sure to start with fresh organic ingredients. Twin Oaks Tofu is great for recipes because you don't have to spend time pressing and draining it like you have to with all the others. Yep, every time you buy Twin Oaks Tofu you're not just getting a great organic foodstuff. You're getting less time cooking and more time doing what is most meaningful to you, whether it be time spent with friends and family or LOL cats. Kind of a good deal, right?
So, let's get cooking! First, sear the mushrooms.
- In an large saute pan, heat about a tablespoon or so of oil. When the oil is hot enough to cook it will show a wavy pattern when you swirl it. Carefully load the pan with as many mushrooms as will fit in one layer. Don't overcrowd or they will get soggy and not brown. On introduction to the hot pan they will sizzle immediately. Don’t touch them! After a minute or two, carefully lift a few from different areas of the pan. If they’re showing a nice golden brown color, success! Flip them over and wait for another minute or two, then take them out of the pan and sprinkle them with a bit of salt and pepper and set aside.
Cook the filling mixture:
- Now, in another large saute pan heat about a tablespoon or so of olive oil on medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion and saute until they begin to turn brown. Add the crumbled Twin Oaks Tofu to the pan and saute for about 5 minutes, until that too is brown. Finally add the thyme, rosemary and garlic to the pan, stir and take off the heat.
Combine all the filling ingredients:
- In a medium sized bowl combine the goat cheese, tofu mixture, and seared mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper.
- Unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured board and roll it slightly with a floured rolling pin until it is 10 x 10-inch square. Cut the sheet into quarters with a sharp knife. Place a heaping tablespoon of cheese filling into the middle of each of the 4 squares. Brush the border of each pastry with water and fold the 2 opposite corners to the center, brushing and overlapping the corners of each pastry so they firmly stick together.
Bake and serve:
- Place the pastries in a sheet pan covered with parchment paper. Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating the pan once during baking, until puffed and golden brown. Enjoy!
Eat Tofu: Find more recipes and share yours too at TwinOaksTofu.com